Sunday 2 March 2014

Pale skin make -up!

Heyy guys! We are trying something a little different today! I'm trying to convince my friend Jess, to create her own blog, so I told her she could test trial on mine. Be nice! This is Jess, she's 18 and a student just like me. If you like this post and want to hear more from Jess, leave a comment down below!

Isn't she a beaut?!

Guest feature: Meet Jess!

Since Sarah has given me the wonderful opportunity to feature on her lovely blog, I thought I would take this as my chance to address a topic that I personally don’t think is spoken about enough. How to do make and how to buy make up if you are, let’s just say…pigmentally challenged. Yes, this one is for us pale girlies, the girls who struggle finding that ‘perfect’ shade for our skin tone, that doesn’t make our face look unnaturally  golden compared to our necks, and who never seem to  know how make our concealer blend with our foundation (because, let’s face it, we’ve all been there.) Being one of the palest people I know, I’ve got quite a lot of experience in this field of expertise, so although I’m not a professional, I thought I would share some of the tips, do’s and don’ts and the best products out there for girls on a budget.

Firstly, my big piece of advice is, know how much make up your face can handle!! For example, my face can take a hell of a lot of make, so lots of eyeshadow, eyeliner and dark lipstick are part of my routine, but this isn’t the case for everyone (my equally as pale and super beautiful sister doesn’t need a lot of make up to look very glamourous, so she’s a lot more toned-down than myself.) You probably can already judge for yourself how much make up suits you, but if not, just experiment and you’ll soon find what you’re comfortable with.

Secondly, I would never, EVER buy any foundation, concealers, tinted moisturisers etc online, (unless, you’re re-buying a product that you already have.) It’s just waaaay to risky, you could end up forking out money for a product which is not at all your shade, since a lot of company’s idea of ‘ivory’ is complete different from reality. Just going into your local boots, Superdrug or wherever you buy your make up and testing it on your skin is the only way to ensure that you’re actually getting what you’re paying for. Personally, my favourite way to test make up is on the inside of my wrist since my skin is quite translucent, I like to know that my make-up can cover the veins on my face. When buying your face make up, I definitely recommend one that gives a good SPF coverage (Sarah's input - although be sure to have a foundation without SPF for picture days, like special events), so it will protect fair skin in any weather, sun burnt noses are never fun!! In my opinion, Bourjois cosmetics are really good at providing foundation that is not only perfect for paler girls, but also protects and nourishes skin too, so you don’t have to worry about your face becoming dry or burnt in the summer months.

One of my absolute favourite products is Collection 2000’s (Or as it’s now called ‘Collection’) 'Lasting Perfection Ultimate Wear Concealer’ in ‘Fair 1,’ it’s an absolute gem at £4.19 and has AMAZING coverage that doesn’t seem to fade during the day, especially not of you use a decent primer underneath it. I’ve always struggled finding the right concealer, because ever since I can remember I have always suffered with really awful, deep, dark circles under my eyes, so if it does the job for me, it’s bound to be just as perfect for anybody else. It is pretty heavy duty and matte stuff though, so use with caution if you don’t wear much make up!! I also use Collection’s basic ‘Pressed Powder' in shade 18 Ivory, it’s brilliant for just setting your make-up, and I usually just apply it throughout the day to freshen my face up a bit because I’m prone to greasy skin, it’s only £1.99, so it’s great just for everyday use.

As you can probably tell by now, I really don’t buy expensive make up…like ever. It’s because I go through A LOT of make-up, I am a self-confessed make-up fiend, especially when it comes to concealer, I probably go through a tube about every 3-4 weeks, so buying an expensive brand just isn’t worth it. However, I would recommend investing a lot of money in brushes, because cheap make up can go a long way if you use the right tools with them. My favourite brushes are by Lauren Luke (the line created by the make-up artist Panacea 81 from Youtube) which were a present, so I don’t really want to look up the price (Sarah's input - I did, a set of eight is £33.75 or they range from £3.25 - 6.50, pretty reasonable in my opinion, may have to try these out! You can find these here). I’ve had them for so, so long and I’ve only just had to replace my face brushes (I’ve still not go around to replacing my eye-make up ones.) I replaced them with Ecotools ‘Fresh and Flawless’ five piece complexion set which was only £12 in boots, they’re in miniature size (perfect for my little hands) and they’re amazing in my opinion. The blending blush that comes in the set is my new saviour, because being a pale girl, tide lines around my neck, and around my eyes where my concealer meets my foundation, always make me paranoid, so this completely blends them out to create a really flawless finish to my make up
.
I hope I’ve been a little bit of help to any pale girlies out there, and remember, a little flick of eyeliner and a bit of red lippy, and you’ve got yourself the perfect go-to vintage look that looks perfect on ivory skin!!


Jess xx


If you have any questions for Jess or myself make sure you leave a comment just below! 

S xo

2 comments:

  1. Its nice to read a post that shows you a cheaper alternative. I don't wear make up a lot, and have recently become a little more interested in it, but looking at prices is putting me off haha this is helpful!! Also, I am a member of the pale group, so this is helpful for me :) x
    www.hels92x.blogspot.com

    P.S ..this was a good post, your friend is right, you should start your own blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is! We convinced her, it's not up yet but when it is I will link it!
    Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete